You read that correctly. The San Francisco Call, which operated from 1856 to 1965, will soon have 100,000 of its pages digitized and added to the Library of Congress. Then the public will be able to view those pages online. That’s according to Business First of Columbus, Ohio, which reports that the University of California, Riverside, has landed a $400,000 grant from the Library of Congress. The school has hired Online Computer Library Center Inc. of Dublin, Ohio., to scan the original bound editions.
According to the “Chronology of San Francisco Newspapers” by Jim W. Faulkinbury, the newspaper began in December 1856 as The Morning Call and was renamed the San Francisco Call in March 1895. In December 1913, the San Francisco Call merged with the Evening Post to become the San Francisco Call & Post. In Aug. 29 1929, it merged with the San Francisco Bulletin to become the Call Bulletin. In 1959, the Call Bulletin was merged with Scripps Howard’s San Francisco News to become the News Call-Bulletin. In 1965, the paper merged with Hearst’s San Francisco Examiner, and the News, Call and Bulletin names were dropped.