George Weber, who did news and hosted a weekend talk show at KGO 810 in the early 1990s before moving on to WABC radio in New York, was found dead inside his Brooklyn apartment on Sunday, according to WABC-TV and the NY Daily News among others. Police went to his home after his bosses at ABC Radio reported that he hadn’t shown up for work in two days. Officers discovered the 47-year-old Weber with multiple stab wounds to his neck. Weber would have turned 48 today.

“I used to hear his voice in the top and the bottom of the hour. It’s a voice New Yorkers know. Now that voice has been silenced,” said Aaron Katersky, 33, an ABC colleague who found himself covering a friend’s murder.

Weber had worked at WABC-AM for 12 years as an on-air reporter. Last year he was laid off in a cost-cutting move. Since then he had worked as a freelancer for ABC News Radio, the national network. His last broadcast was March 15.

The following is a statement from ABC News Radio vp and gm Steve Jones:

    “We are shocked and deeply saddened by the death of our colleague and friend George Weber, who was the victim of what police have deemed a homicide at his home in Brooklyn. An investigation has been launched by NYPD and we have been assisting them. Our condolences and prayers go out to George’s family and friends at this very difficult time.

    “George Weber was a lifelong fan of radio. He was a consummate journalist with a successful radio career in New York at WABC , Los Angeles at KTLK and KMPC, San Francisco at KGO radio and Denver at KOA radio, among others.

    “While in New York, George was part of the highly successful “Cutis and Kuby” WABC morning show where he remained until early 2008. It was then that he joined ABC News Radio as a freelance anchor. His last newscast was on Sunday, March 15.”

Here’s a link to Weber’s personal Web site After a successful evening talk show at KOA-AM in Denver in the late 1980s, he moved on to KGO 810, where he split his time between news and talk. “What didn’t go over so well here was my weekend talk show, which the general manager thought was a little too racy,” Weber writes. “I was asked to stay on in the news department, but decided instead to go to KOGO, a newly re-formatted talk station in San Diego.”

Bay Area Media News,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>