Of the 34 newsroom positions cut by BANG this week, 10 were by voluntary resignations and the rest were firings, according to a report by Walnut Creek Patch.
Patch said those who left BANG include:
- • David Newhouse, longtime sportswriter and columnist for the Oakland Tribune;
- • Steve Waterhouse, editor of the (Fremont) Argus and the (Hayward) Daily Review;
- • Barry Caine, former movie critic for the Oakland Tribune and an entertainment editor for the Contra Costa Times;
- • David Boitano, editor of the Berkeley Voice and El Cerrito Journal.
If you know of other names, email the Press Club at firstname.lastname@example.org.
One point overlooked in the news about the cuts is that BANG will halt home delivery on Mondays of the Oakland Tribune, The (Fremont) Argus and The (Hayward) Daily Review, starting sometime in November. The Monday papers will still be available at retail outlets, news racks and other locations, and there will also be electronic versions.
- • Karim Amara, CC Times multimedia producer;
- • Patrick Brown, copy editor;
- • Dottie Burdine, San Mateo County Times editorial assistant;
- • Chris Campos, Hayward Daily Review managing editor;
- • Laura Casey, features and arts writer, Oakland Tribune;
- • Dean Coppola, CC Times photographer;
- • Andrea Daum, state/regional editor;
- • James Gayles, graphic artist;
- • Anthony Gonzalez, Hayward sports desk;
- • Emmanuel Lopez;
- • Eric Louie, San Ramon Valley/Alamo/Danville reporter;
- • Shelly Meron, El Cerito/Albany/Kensington Journal;
- • Jennifer Modenessi, arts writer;
- • David Morrill, business reporter;
- • Tony Nguyen, sports copy editor;
- • Jonathan Okanes, Cal football writer;
- • Rick Radin, reporter, Pittsburg, Bay Point;
- • Nicholas Roth;
- • Jack Rux, Mercury News copy editor;
- • Vicki Walker, copy editor
Patch has one more name to add to the list — Chris Metinko, who covered Alameda County for BANG.