January 14, 2016, 6:30, via teleconference
BOARD MEMBERS: Peter Cleaveland, Laura Dudnick, Antonia Ehlers, Jim Henderson, Jane Northrop, Dave Price, Ed Remitz, Aimee Strain, Marshall Wilson, Jim Watson.
1) GREATER BAY AREA JOURNALISM AWARDS DEBRIEF:
What went right: It was a wonderful day, the guest speakers were interesting, the energy was high. We had more than 400 entries this year.
- • One of our judging clubs did not finish judging its entries in time. Two other clubs were late.
- • There was a learning curve with the new BNC program.
- • One person in the event’s survey wanted plaques returned; not affordable now.
- • We were questioned about the digital media category – next year it will be streamlined to separate digital news sites from blogs. We will also include specific language from the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics as part of our contest criteria. John Ellis and Ed Remitz will rewrite the contest categories and rules for approval by the board.
STATE OF OUR FINANCES:
Our contract for BNC (Better Newspapers Contest, the software for our contests) is up and they have given us an extension. We will owe $3,273. Right now, we have $7,835 in our operating account. Of that amount, we need to pay:
- • BNC $2,800 to $3,200 if we decide to keep it (they have given us an extension to pay this bill and will break up the fee into three installments
- • $7,000 to our executive directors if they decide to stay (some of these fees can be paid after next year’s contest)
- • Fees to reinstate our club as a 501(c)(3) plus possible fines. At this point, it might be cheaper to work with someone like H&R Block. Antonia will follow up with this.
- • We have about $8,000 in the scholarship account with $4,500 earmarked for three recipients.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FOR 2016:
John Allen and Sarah Ellis will remain as directors
HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALISM BOOT CAMP:
The board agreed to move the boot camp to San Francisco City College. SFCC
Journalism Professor Juan Gonzales has offered a partnership. It looks as if March 12 might work for this year.
We are looking for a new corporate sponsor and will begin with Kaiser Hospital.
Jim Watson will chair the membership drive. He will be assisted by other board members. We will begin by calling media professionals and public relations professionals to gain more members.
HOLIDAY PARTY – DECEMBER 2015:
Ed, Jane, Jim Watson and Antonia attended the join Press Club Holiday Party at the Cadillac Bar in December. It was a blast and a great way to mingle with members of other clubs. There were approximately 100 people there, and the media professionals had a wonderful evening getting to know each other.
STATE OF THE BOARD/NEXT STEPS FOR 2016:
- • Ed and Jim are going to SF State to build connections with instructors and college students
- • We hope to offer professional development for our members and guests
- • Ideally, the next Greater Bay Area Journalism Awards should be schedued for early October. If this happens, we will allow for a much earlier call for entries – April time frame
Minutes submitted by President Antonia Ellers substituting for Secretary Dave Price.